Edit: This position has now been filled. Thank you for your interest!
If you’re passionate about your work, want to innovate and work in an exciting and unique environment, look no further. Toy Studio is looking for a game designer to hit the ground running immediately. If you live and breathe design, we want to talk with you.
The Game Designer will be responsible for directing the design of titles, content design of existing titles and game balancing. You’ll be expected to know the direction of a game better than anyone else. But you just don’t think up designs, you execute on them. You can break down abstract visions into detailed game systems and mechanics that define the core gameplay of the title. You will communicate with developers and artists and work together to put together a fun, engaging and unique titles. Toy Studio’s ideal candidate will also be familiar with many different game genres and games as well such that the ideal candidate has knowledge about games such as Go, Othello and Acquire but also more present titles such CityVille, Gears of War and Torchlight. Lastly if you identify design with the following quote “Every act of creation is at first an act of destruction,” then Toy Studio is where you belong.
This is a great opportunity to enter the game industry or if you’ve been in the game industry before to experience the energy and fun of social game development. We work in short development cycles which allow many of our team member’s ideas to be put into production. This opportunity will not only be exciting but will allow you to produce great games.
How To Apply
- To apply please send an e-mail to jobs (at) toystudio (dot) com with the subject “Baller Game Designer”.
- Within your application please include your resume and a cover letter.
- In your cover letter please tell us one of your favorite mobile games, social games, and console games and why they are your favorites. This can be brief.
- Feel free to include ANY attachments you’d like to that would impress us. (Portfolio, games you’ve made, mods you’ve made etc, blog posts, etc…)
- Work closely with the Studio Director, artists, and developers to design features for existing titles, implement new game content, and balance current game systems.
- You might not be able to code but you can make it easier on the developers. You will work closely with developers to ensure that design will not cause developers to go bat something crazy. Additionally you will coordinate with developers on the implementation of both new and existing features.
- Design quests, game scenarios, items, skill trees, classes, and all supporting gameplay elements.
- Lead and participate in design discussions across all disciplines (developers, artists, producers, etc…)
- Fine tune game mechanics and systems based on the collection of analytical metrics to improve a player’s engagement and experience.
- Ability to script content such as quests, in-game items, etc…
- Analyze and research other game titles. This doesn’t just mean play a game but analyze the game’s play balance, core game mechanics, and learn something from the analysis.
- Focus primarily on mobile game design as well as content design for social games.
- Vast knowledge of various game titles with the ability to express in a clear and concise fashion the strengths and weaknesses of said game titles.
- A mind with no boundaries. You can take an abstract vision and break it down into specific details.
- Someone who doesn’t need to be told what to do. You can take direction but are highly motivated to pursue new ideas on your own.
- Highly intelligent and enjoy solving challenging problems which come your way.
- You love working with others and a team. Ego never gets in your way and you understand that working together is better than working alone.
- Love, passion, and drive to make games and play games.
- Previously shipped titles is a plus! (Mods count!)
- Experience with touchscreen devices is a plus!
- Computer science background is a plus!
- Experience in designing and creating wireframes for in-game menu, content, etc.. is a HUGE plus!
- US Work authorization
Life at our studio
- Casual work environment. We understand you have a life also
- Complimentary Lunches, beverages and snacks. Seriously our fridge is stocked to the brim
- Benefits and competitive salaries
- We work in small teams, which we believe promotes spontaneity, creativity and speed
- Anyone here might have our next great idea, so we make sure every idea is heard
Apply at: Game Job Hunter